Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins

Today we took a trip to Valley View Farms to buy our Halloween pumpkins. I like to carve pumpkins either the day before or the day of Halloween so that by the time the holiday comes around our front steps aren't decorated with orange mush.After wandering around the patch for a bit and checking out the straw "zoo" and gigantic prize-winning pumpkins we loaded up a whole wagon full of our own big orange carving pumpkins, acorn, gooseneck and butternut squashes for cooking (is the plural of "squash" supposed to be "squashes"? That sounds funny), and even a few teeny tiny pumpkins to decorate the kitchen table.Would you believe I've never eaten squash before? Never! So this year I made sure to pick up a few to experiment with. I doubt anyone in the house will want to experiment with me, but I'm okay with being the adventurous one. I think.After pumpkin shopping we had lunch and went to Cold Stone for--what else--pumpkin ice cream! Oh yes. I am a sucker for anything pumpkin flavored or scented, and this time of year I crave it constantly. From the first day of fall through December our refrigerator will never be empty of pumpkin pie. There will also be an avalanche of pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin french toast, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin milkshakes, and after all that, probably pumpkin Pepto (if only).

Fall really is the best season. The food, the cool weather, the beautiful show nature puts on for us makes it such a happy time of year for me. I wish it could last all year.Oh and don't let that forced looking pageant smile fool you. She really did have a good time.

1 comment:

Faye said...

wow, that was a pumpkin-riffic post. I like squash, if it is cooked right, which I have not done in a long time. Butternut squash, mashed with a little fresh butter, and salt, YUM! I can't wait to see pics of the kiddo in her costume. Have a great time tonight, whatever you decide to do.