Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Lanterns, toile, and a very Bossy Bear

Bossy Bear is very bossy. He is also Autumn's favorite book by David Horvath. It's a story about a little blue bear who wants things his way all the time, but learns to share with the help of a small turtle with a balloon. So my second birthday gift to her is this hat, which I whipped up today while she was at school. Adam loves it and I think she'll get a kick out of it too.
In other news I've been on a major organizing mission in my craft room lately. I'm rearranging and repurposing much of my abundance of stuff as well as parting with a lot of things I've finally admitted to myself that I'm not going to use. I've also been trying to bring a little more personality into the room with the addition of things like these paper lanterns I bought on our summer vacation. Aren't they pretty?
A fellow crafter showed me this ingenious way (one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments) to store fabric, by folding and wrapping it around pieces of cardboard to make mini bolts. I think my fabrics look adorable lined up this way on my shelves, and it takes up a lot less storage space as well as making it easier to find what I'm looking for. See that red and cream toile on the right? Delicious. I guess for some toile is a little too old fashioned and stuffy looking, but I'm madly in love with it and pick it up whenever I find it for a good price. This was a thrift store score I got a few weeks back. The fabric was folded up nicely when I bought it and I hadn't thought to unfold it before I was ready to use it, so it sat neatly on my shelf all this time. When I unfolded it to wrap it on my little cardboard bolt yesterday I was in for a very pleasant surprise.
That is my four dollar thrift store fabric trailing all the way down our staircase and about three feet into the kitchen. Holy guacamole. When I found this stuff I thought I was buying a yard, maybe two of some pretty toile that I'd use for a purse or something, but here I've got yards upon yards of the stuff. It really doesn't look like that much when it's folded up, does it? Needless to say, my jaw dropped to the floor and I just stared at it for a while, amazed at my luck. My guess is that someone bought it to make curtains and then abandoned the project for some reason. Bless them for donating it to MY Goodwill instead of letting it gather dust in a closet somewhere. I haven't decided yet what I want to make with it. If I'm feeling adventurous I might try a dress, but for now I'll just admire it on my craft room shelf.

2 comments:

*BB* said...

omg thats a lotta fabric for such a small looking amount!

Faye said...

I love the hat. Although I suspect it will look better on the 4 year old head then it does on the slightly older head of someone else I know and love. I say again, you are so creative, and being friends with you has made me more creative. Enjoy the toile, it is really pretty.